Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Sanctuary: An Artist's Oasis

For artist Natalie Bessel, creating new work requires commitment and putting in the time. Her dedicated studio space nestled in a cascading garden gives her just the setting she needs to get comfortable and be inspired. Here, she chats with Zillow about her studio, featured in our video series “Sanctuary.”

Q: How would you describe your sanctuary?

A: A space that is full of light, graciously housing items I have collected over the years. Items that help bring into focus the chaotic buzz of inspiration that is this world.

Q: Where is it located? 

A: It is located near “too good to be true” San Diego, CA, in a town 10 minutes away from La Jolla, the beautiful beach town where I was lucky enough to grow up. Heading a bit inland allows for more affordable space and an amazing canyon view.

Q: What do you like best about the physical space?

A: All the plants, of course! The space is designed to make you feel like you’re in a slice of nature, because you kind of are. You immediately forget that you are in a suburb surrounded by ’70s tract homes. Because we’re on a canyon, we get to meet a lot of wildlife (for Southern California, that is): coyotes, hawks, rattlesnakes, and deer (once).

Q: What is your home like? And would you say your sanctuary is an extension or departure from your home? 

A: Our home was built in 1968, and the original owners added an extension to the back of the house. This room with 14-foot-tall ceilings has an amazing window wall looking out into the backyard, which is now a rich cascading garden.

The sanctuary is more of an extension of the garden than the house itself. It is resting on the very edge of the property, overlooking Tecolote Canyon.

Q: Did you have your sanctuary in mind when you chose your home?
A: Yes, I moved into the house after the studio was already in the works.

Q: Do you own or rent your home/sanctuary?

A: We rent and have a very good relationship with the owners, which I think is very important. There’s an open, honest relationship that allows for growth. A few of our friends have even lived in this house before, and we hear stories of their contributions along the way. In our case, it’s the studio.

Q: What made you say "I'm doing it – I'm creating a sanctuary?"

A: I was thinking about renting a studio. I felt a strong need to have a space specifically for art, and the idea of building one on the property came up. My father has some experience in architecture, and my boyfriend John was willing to help out. It made perfect sense.

Q: Who built the studio, and how did they do it? 

A: My father and John did most of the work, but I helped when I could. It was built using mostly reclaimed materials. There was a preexisting wall of antique windows, a sculptural piece left by the homeowners, and we decided to work from that.

The studio itself is held together by steel studs. Pallets act as the foundation for the floor, and found fence pieces lie on top of that. We used reclaimed wood, windows, and doors. We had to buy things like drywall, corrugated plastic and metal, which we used for the walls and roof.

Q: What was the biggest challenge in creating your sanctuary?

A: Like most people, I find time is one of the most challenging things to get my hands on. We didn’t hire anyone to build the studio, and I couldn’t do it by myself. So I patiently waited for it to come to completion, and it felt like it took forever.

That feeling is long gone, however, and I understand now that the studio needed to take as long as it did for all the right things to fall into place.

Q: Has your sanctuary always looked the same, or has it changed over time?

A: It has mostly stayed the same. The objects accumulate and paintings cycle in and out, but it’s a small space, and the initial design is working really well.

Q: How much time do you typically spend in your sanctuary?

A: It depends what I’m working on. I skip a day here or there, but I usually spend at least an hour every day, and I have spent up to 10 hours in one day in my studio.

Q: You clearly have a passion that you pursue in your sanctuary. How did you get into art in the first place?

A: For as long as I remember, I’ve been making art. I have many memories: going to museum classes, coloring in my grandma’s studio, obsessing over school art projects. I’ve always loved to create. It helps me feel connected to the world.

Q: Does your hobby influence what you do professionally, or vice versa?

A: I’m one of those lucky artists that gets paid for their work.

Q: How does it make you feel to be able to have a space devoted to your passion?

A: It feels like part of the art itself. It helps complete the picture of what I’m doing and why I’m doing it.

Q: Do you share your sanctuary with anyone? What about your home?

A: I have the studio all to myself, except for any little critters that decide to live in it. I share my home with my boyfriend, and two roommates, Sam and Nick. Sam is a potter and has his wheel set up in our garage. Maybe he can build a studio next.

Q: If you had to sum it up in one word, what does your sanctuary draw out of you as a person?

A: Energy.

Q: Is this your forever sanctuary or would you build another?

A: Nothing is permanent. Circumstances change, and I don’t know what will be next, but it’s all very exciting.

Q: If you had a do-over, would you change anything about your sanctuary?

A: No, not really.

Q: Do you wish you had found your sanctuary sooner?

A: It came to me at the right time.

Q: What advice would you share with those who dream of having a sanctuary someday?

A: Valuing your space and time is one of the best ways to invest in yourself, and by investing in yourself, you’re helping the world vibrate with creativity.

Related:



from Zillow Porchlight | Real Estate News, Advice and Inspiration http://www.zillow.com/blog/sanctuary-an-artists-oasis-197089/
via Reveeo

No comments:

Post a Comment